About The Road Trip

My photo
Hello! This blog will follow Alex Marino, Christina Drake, and Henry Lin as they travel from New Orleans to California and beyond. This Krewe du NOLA is a bunch of long-term volunteers who have served two or three years as Construction Assistants with Project Homecoming, the rebuilding ministry of the Presbytery of South Louisiana partnered with Presbyterian Disaster Assistance. PH has built over 125 homes in the Greater New Orleans area that were affected by hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005. We are raising $30,000 before September 1st to help provide a living stipend for FIVE long-term volunteers for one year. Help to rebuild New Orleans by coming to a presentation, eating some New Orleans cookin’ and bringing more people to this blog!

Help 'Coming Home' play in your town!

Learn more about us on NBC! Call your local NBC station and tell them you want to see "Coming Home: Hurricane Katrina 5 Years Later," a Horizon of the Spirit series program. Check out the preview on the bottom of the page.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Thoughts From the Road

I was just thinking ('cause there's plenty of time for that in 15-hour drives) ...


            how incredible the past three years have been since I began volunteering with Project Homecoming. Volunteering really changes your view of how things work in the world. In the mind of society, the less money you make, the smaller your world becomes. And yet, since I arrived in New Orleans in September 2007, I have seen more of this country than in all of my 45 years! By the time this trip ends, I will have added about 13 states to my travel experiences. I have seen more amazing music than ever ... Stevie Wonder, Bonnie Raitt, Earth, Wind & Fire, Etta James, Lionel Richie, Patti Austin, Kirk Whalum & Gerald Albright, to name a few. More importantly, I have added dozens of angels to my list of closest friends. They are the incredible volunteers who come to help us rebuild each week.

Has it been difficult? Certainly, at times. And yet it seems the less material wealth I possess, the richer I grow in peace and love of life. You can't put a price tag on that. You could never write me a check that would give me the joy and satisfaction of telling a homeowner, "You can move in now!"



Carol Jupter celebrates with "The Construction Goddess" after seeing her nearly finished house.
Carol's story will be the focal point of the NBC special, "Coming Home:  Hurricane Katrina Five Years Later"
Call your local affiliate to request that it be aired in your area:  http://www.nbc.com/Local/
View the Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpZel8T13HA


This is why we do what we do.  It is why this crazy trip is under way.  It is why we have faith that our efforts will be successful and that we and others like us will be able to continue volunteering.  It is why we will sleep peacefully for the next few hours and for many nights to follow.

- Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment